Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flight 93 Memorial - September 10, 2011

I had the honor of going to the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. My heart goes out to the family and friends of victims I met yesterday, your strength and love for those around you is astounding. I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences I've had in my life. Although 9/11 happened in my lifetime, I was only 9 at the time, and never understood it enough to be emotionally effected. I never knew anyone that had been personally effected by it, so I was able to separate myself from the thoughts and emotions that generally surround this day. Meeting the people effected by this tragedy, however, has enhanced my understanding of 9/11, and I'm glad to have had this experience. 

As a photographer, this day was a challenge for me. I was constantly conflicted whether to take certain photographs or not. I feel confident that if I would have been in Shanksville on 9/11/2001, I would have photographed everything without a second thought, however 10 years later, I found myself hesitating on multiple occasions. At some points I had to sit down and stop photographing all together, I just couldn't handle it. The day was a remembrance, and almost felt like a funeral. Although I'm sure the family members had funerals for their loved ones, because they did not have the body, I feel like yesterday was closure for many people, and invading their personal space while they were mourning was difficult for me. Eventually I sucked it up and was able to shoot some photographs, but I never worked up the nerve to ask someone for their name. Even when I talked to family members and they told me their stories I didn't have the nerve to ask to photograph them once I got to know them.

A man involved with the planning of the Flight 93 Memorial Dedication Ceremony in Shanksville, PA, on September 12, 2011, looks saddened as he a group of others begin to fold a flag honoring the heroes of Flight 93.  The group had just finished singing "God Bless America" prior to folding the flag.

A group of people fold a ceremonial flag on September 10, 2011, at the Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA.


A young man looks through the wooden gate that separates the Flight 93 Memorial and the field where the plane crashed. 



A group of men hold candles as they set up approximately 3,000, one for each victim of 9/11.

A patriotic woman takes a photograph of the children of a man aboard Flight 93.
United Airlines flight attendants mourn and remember the loss of a colleague who was a crew member of Flight 93.


The Flights Attendants that were present at the Flight 93 Memorial Dedication hold hands and pray  in memory of those who lost their lives 10 years ago.


A strong woman leads the prayer.




No comments: